Monday, September 21, 2009

Sex Education.....

Well last week we finished our sex education unit in health. It probably the easiest lesson to get kids involved with...its so interesting to me how much teenagers are willing (knowingly and unknowingly) to share with their teachers about sex and the information they know, but when I ask do they talk to their parents, they usually scream NOOOOOOO!!! That is a problem....

There are currently 25 known STDs and an even scarier fact is 4 million teens in our country contract an STD each year!!! We have 65 million people in this country right now with incurable STDs!!! These stats are scary to me as a married women and I know my students were freaked out by some of these numbers presented to them in class last week!!!

It starts with education at home. We have an abstinence based curriculum at school, but children need to be educated by their parents early and often about the dangers and the risk of pre-martial sex. Not only the risk of STDs and pregnancy, but the emotional risk of being involved in sexual behaviors before marriage can cause even more damage and unnecessary baggage in their lives. Instead of tip-toeing around the subject we need to take control of our children, our households and our future as a whole by educating our kids. If they don't learn the correct information from you, they will learn it somewhere....believe me as a teacher the things they are learning from friends, society, and so-called role models are ruining and damaging our kids!! :(

3 comments:

Amy said...

That's pretty alarming. From talking to parents you'd think their kids had the 911 and the lines of communication were open. The conversations have been had. All is well. I wonder what the parents would say if they knew the group response was NOOOOOO! Would that open dialogue? What if one of their assignments was to write an essay about STDs that their parents had to sign off on. And it was 75% of the grade. The parents who wanted their kids to do well would get involved.

Shana said...

Yeah...the parents have to sign off to hear the sex ed guest speakers at our school (they are from a local pregnancy resource center) and the workbook they give them has stuff to work on with their parents but some of my kids said they didn't....it just scares me the path a lot of my students at an affluent school are getting involved in, where their parents are "actively" involved in their kid's lives....it makes me so nervous as a health teacher and a member of society at large....

Anita said...

Important message. It is a reminder to me to continue the conversation that I have started to have with my 13 year old. Somehow, it keeps getting put on the back burner because we're so busy doing other things.

Post a Comment