Friday, November 20, 2009

Workout Snob...

I've been called a "workout snob" by a couple of friends at school recently...you are probably wondering what "workout snob" means.....well I'm a huge fan on lifting weights, and when I mean lifting weights, I'm not talking about the pink 2.5lb dumbbells.....I'm talking about really pushing some iron. I haven't done my max bench, squat, deadlift at least a year before I got pregnant with CQ, but I think I'm pretty strong for a woman with a 9 month old (time flies) little one. Put it this way, I get come interesting looks from some of the guys in the weight room as well as some compliments.....

Well I started a fitness classes at my school to encourage my friends to get fit and make exercise a regular part of their routine....the first day I had about 15-17 fellow teachers (all females) show up....we did a hard tabata style workout of mountain climbers, body weight squats, push-ups, and squat thrusters and finished it off with some ab work. I was tired because I pushed myself throughout the workout because I decided I was not going to lift weights that day. I had some of the teachers ask, wow Shana, that's was hard and I can tell it was hard because you are sweating....

Well that got me to thinking later on that night....were they working out hard while I was doing the exercises or chillaxing while watching me (granted I figured we are all adults so I didn't really take the time to look up and keep tabs while I was working out to see if everyone else was). So after a few weeks of a group style workout, I changed things up to station work, where the teachers rotated through 7-8 stations (after hard workouts the first weeks and lack of a commitment by some, my numbers have dropped to 5-7 people that come consistently so I didn't need tons of stations). I also then decided to stop working out with them and stand and watch, correct bad form and just walk around instead....that caused a little stir because now some of them ask, why I would rather go to the gym and lift weights and not do a group setting type of workout with them...granted if I had a choice to bench 135lbs multiple times or sit in a room behind a step with 30 other women and workout for an hour I would definitely choose the former....

Now there is nothing wrong with group exercise and it definitely has it benefits for individuals that are consistently involved (as with any exercise program). But for me I get more out of being in the free weight room with the guys and trying to punish my muscles everyday....

Well two of my friends bet that I would not take a group exercise class at their gym...they have been calling me a "workout snob" the past couple of weeks because I would rather go lift heavy weights and push myself in the weight room then doing conditioning class with them....well as a very competitive person, I've taken them up on this challenge and will be attending my first ever total conditioning group fitness class as a participant only...I'm very interested to see how this one turns out tomorrow......I'm making sure the words "workout snob" are removed from my friends vocabulary permanently!!! Hey who knows, God might open a door for me to pursue my passion for fitness on a full-time basis as a group exercise instructor!! :)

2 comments:

Anita said...

I envy you! Over the past year or two, physical activity has been a must for me. I really enjoy it. I can see the weight room in my future.
You'll be my inspiration. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi new friend, I am now following you via MBC.

Post a Comment