Monday, July 2, 2012

Weighing on my heart.....





On Saturdays, I usually do a date with my daughter and we either go to breakfast or dinner together. This Saturday she begged me to have pizza so I took her to a local pizza place for dinner. After we placed our order for two personal pizzas, she ran to find a seat and we sat down. While she talked about all the memorabilia she saw on the walls, I looked around at the other patrons.
As a health teacher and fitness enthusiast I know the stats, over 60% of our country is overweight or obese. As I preach this and other scary stats like it to my students and friends, I really never truly felt what that meant. While in the restaurant the statistic held up to be true, 2/3 of the people in there eating were overweight or obese and it really made me sad.
I cannot believe a country like ours has just taken our freedom and destroyed our bodies. Granted, I like to eat pizza and splurge from time to time, but I cannot imagine treating my body with disrespect by not putting healthy foods/drinks in it and not exercising. I know obesity is classified as a epidemic in the United States and I don't understand why most Americans don't take charge of their lives and their bodies and become healthy. I'm not saying become a fitness model or body builder, but take charge of your health, by fixing the way you treat your body.
Instead of grabbing fast food on the way home, wake up 10-15 minutes earlier in the morning and create a healthy meal for the slow cooker that will be ready when you get home. Instead of reaching for a soda, drink water with a slice of lemon or orange inside. Instead of spending hours on Facebook, Twitter, or in front of a TV, go for a stroll in your neighborhood in the evening. These small changes can make a huge difference in the way you look, but even moreover in the way you feel. Your body will welcome being treated like a "temple" and increase your energy levels, body functioning, and overall wellness. Even with two kids and a husband, I find the time to workout at least five sometimes six days a week. I also make a point to cook healthy meals for my family at least four some times five days a week. I splurge once a week with my eating (usually on Saturday), but make healthy choices when I eat out as well.
I know as Americans we have the freedom to do as we choose and I respect that right. I wish 2/3 of our country would take a long hard look in the mirror and realize the choices they are making in regards to their health is leading them to an unhappy, unhealthy shortened life. However, if you want to be unhealthy yourself as an adult, go right ahead, but please, please, please don't subject your children to your unhealthy pattern of living. Childhood obesity has tripled in the past 30 years!!! It truly breaks my heart to see an overweight/obese kid......they are being sentenced to a life of misery both physically and emotionally which is truly unfortunate. Wake up everyone, and please make the choice for you and your family to live healthier happier lives!!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment